[VIM] ZDI-13-132 and a CVE?

Henri Salo henri at nerv.fi
Sat Aug 17 01:25:01 CDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 09:37:13AM -0500, ZDI Disclosures wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This was released as a "security in depth" bulletin. As such it does
> not have a CVE assigned.
>
> This is also true of ZDI--13-193 for Microsoft (although they call
> it "defense in depth").
>
> Regards
> The ZDI Team

Details of the issue:

"""
This vulnerability allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on
vulnerable installations of Oracle Java. User interaction is required to exploit
this vulnerability in that the target must visit a malicious page or open a
malicious file.

The specific flaw exists within the java.security.KeyStore class. The issue lies
in the execution of a user-supplied callback in a privileged context. An
attacker can leverage this vulnerability to execute code under the context of
the current process.
"""

and Oracle page is saying:

"""
A Critical Patch Update is a collection of patches for multiple security
vulnerabilities.
"""

This definitely sounds like it needs a CVE or multiple CVEs. In my opinion
security in depth does not mean it's not a fix for a vulnerability. Other
opinions/comments?

---
Henri Salo