[VIM] ZDI-10-016: Microsoft Windows ShellExecute Improper Sanitization Code Execution Vulnerability

ZDI Disclosures zdi-disclosures at tippingpoint.com
Wed Feb 10 18:50:14 UTC 2010

Jericho,

The crux of this issue was never fully identified on our behalf, we simply tracked it down to the point that we knew it was reachable from ShellExecute(). We're not entirely sure why Microsoft chose to split the patch across two months but we were told by them to wait until this month to release our advisory. The issue can be triggered from a variety of vectors, the most interesting to an attacker being MSIE. It is NOT however only exposed through IE. We just updated the web advisory to reflect all affected operating systems which in addition to XP include 2000 and 2003. We suspect that Microsoft first addressed the IE vector last month and the actual bug this month. Hope that helps.

Kate