[VIM] Microsoft and FairUse4WM

Steven M. Christey coley at linus.mitre.org
Tue Sep 12 21:11:50 EDT 2006

I've been kind of mixed about these sorts of issues.  It's definitely a
vulnerability in my mind; a protection mechanism can be defeated,
independent of whether or not it's possible to develop a "perfectly
secure" mechanism.

The issue is one of audience.  It's not a vulnerability from the
consumer's perspective - or at least, not the typical consumer, since
obviously the media companies and artists are the consumers in this case.
With CVE (and the rest of us to one degree or another) having been
"regular-consumer-focused," this would on first blush seem to be out of
typical scope, just like site-specific issues.

The Sony "rootkit" stuff from last year was different, because it directly
affected the security of regular-consumer machines.  I still have to think
on this one, though.  An interesting border case.