[VIM] Possible HyperVM vendor dispute - but of severity or existence?

Steven M. Christey coley at mitre.org
Tue Dec 19 20:01:35 EST 2006

Researcher: Aria (keep reading anyway)
Ref: BUGTRAQ:20061217 HyperVM Cross-Site Scripting
     URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/archive/1/454704/100/0/threaded

So, there appears to be a dispute, but I'm not sure if the vendor
understands the issue.

front page at http://hypervm.com/ :

  "... An XSS issue has been found in hyperVM, but please note that it
   is not exploitable, but still, all customers are urged to update
   hyperVM to the latest version."

http://forum.lxlabs.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=2425&S=664ae54d462254873a6f4a0aed07acf1

  "An XSS problem has been discovered in hyperVM. Please note that it
  is not exploitable. We have fixed this in the latest version."

Finally, at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=570655 (but
I'm not sure if this is a vendor Rep):

  Also I don't know what you mean by legitimate, but this is NOT
  exploitable. In fact, we do take a lot of effort to make sure that
  lower level clients cannot enter values that can be exploited to
  make admin inadvertently commit anything out of the way. It is a bug
  in hyperVM, but not a vulnerability.

  If you want to see what exactly is an exploitable XSS vulnerability,
  you can see here:

  http://www.rs-labs.com/adv/RS-Labs-Advisory-2006-1.txt

The "BUG #1" item in the RS Labs advisory is CSRF, *not* XSS.

So, I'm not sure what they mean by "not exploitable" here.  Not
exploitable for CSRF style attacks?  The problem doesn't even exist
for basic XSS?

And more importantly - if there's no problem, then what was fixed?