[ISN] The Ultimate Net Monitoring Tool

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Thu May 18 05:02:31 EDT 2006

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70914-0.html

By Robert Poe
May, 17, 2006

The equipment that technician Mark Klein learned was installed in the
National Security Agency's "secret room" inside AT&T's San Francisco
switching office isn't some sinister Big Brother box designed solely
to help governments eavesdrop on citizens' internet communications.

Rather, it's a powerful commercial network-analysis product with all
sorts of valuable uses for network operators. It just happens to be
capable of doing things that make it one of the best internet spy
tools around.

"Anything that comes through (an internet protocol network), we can
record," says Steve Bannerman, marketing vice president of Narus, a
Mountain View, California, company. "We can reconstruct all of their
e-mails along with attachments, see what web pages they clicked on, we
can reconstruct their (voice over internet protocol) calls."

Narus' product, the Semantic Traffic Analyzer, is a software
application that runs on standard IBM or Dell servers using the Linux
operating system. It's renowned within certain circles for its ability
to inspect traffic in real time on high-bandwidth pipes, identifying
packets of interest as they race by at up to 10 Gbps.

Internet companies can install the analyzers at every entrance and
exit point of their networks, at their "cores" or centers, or both.
The analyzers communicate with centralized "logic servers" running
specialized applications. The combination can keep track of, analyze
and record nearly every form of internet communication, whether
e-mail, instant message, video streams or VOIP phone calls that cross
the network.

Brasil Telecom and several other Brazilian phone companies are using
Narus products to charge each other for VOIP calls they send over one
another's IP networks. Internet companies in China and the Middle East
use them to block VOIP calls altogether.

But even before the product's alleged role in the NSA's operations
emerged, its potential as a surveillance tool was not lost on
corporate America.

In December, VeriSign, also of Mountain View, chose Narus' product as
the backbone of its lawful-intercept-outsourcing service, which helps
network operators comply with court-authorized surveillance orders
from law enforcement agencies. A special Narus lawful-intercept
application does this spying with ease, sorting through torrents of IP
traffic to pick out specific messages based on a targeted e-mail
address, IP address or, in the case of VOIP, phone number.

"We needed their fast packet-detection and inspection capability,"
says VeriSign Vice President Raj Puri. "They do it with specialized
software that can isolate packets for a specific target."

Narus has little control over how its products are used after they're
sold. For example, although its lawful-intercept application has a
sophisticated system for making sure the surveillance complies with
the terms of a warrant, it's up to the operator whether to type those
terms into the system, says Bannerman.

That legal eavesdropping application was launched in February 2005,
well after whistle-blower Klein allegedly learned that AT&T was
installing Narus boxes in secure, NSA-controlled rooms in switching
centers around the country. But that doesn't mean the government
couldn't write its own code to do the dirty work. Narus even offers
software-development kits to customers.

"Our product is designed to comply (with) all of the laws in all of
the countries we ship to," says Bannerman. "Many of our customers have
built their own applications. We have no idea what they do."