[ISN] DOD computer hacker sentenced to 7 months

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Mon Oct 24 09:10:08 EDT 2005

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_4178132,00.html

By Karen Abbott
Rocky Mountain News
October 22, 2005

A computer hacker from Venezuela known as "RaFa" was sentenced Friday
to the seven months he already has spent behind bars for breaking into
a U.S. Air Force training computer in 2001.

Colorado U.S. District Judge Walker Miller imposed the sentence on
Rafael Nunez-Aponte, 26. Immigration officials are expected to deport
him soon.

Court documents said the man belonged to a computer hacking club
called World-of-Hell.

The group and Nunez-Aponte are featured in a chapter of the book, The
Hacker Diaries: Confessions of Teenage Hackers, by Dan Verton [1].

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested Nunez-Aponte
in April when he arrived by plane in Miami to attend a conference.

On June 11, 2001, personnel of the Defense Information Systems Agency
in Denver discovered its Web-based server network was inoperable.

When the servers were restarted, a new home page appeared with the
message, "woh is Back . . . and kiss my a-- cause I just Owned yours!"
and was signed "RaFa."

The incident, which Nunez- Aponte admitted to earlier this year, cost
the Defense Department $10,548. About $5,170 in traveler's checks
seized when Nunez-Aponte was arrested will be applied to that cost.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072223642/c4iorg