[ISN] Problem Confirmed In January Patch For Windows 98, Me

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Tue Mar 29 07:53:14 EST 2005

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=KKGCUIBVK1FYKQSNDBGCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=159907226

TechWeb News
March 28, 2005

Microsoft posted a message late Friday night to the support discussion
groups for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows Me acknowledging a
problem for users of those OSes who installed a January 2005 patch.

"Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME," wrote Jerry Bryant for the
Microsoft Security Response Center (MCSE). "At this point, we have
been able to confirm these reports and are currently working on a
resolution."

According to other posters on the discussion groups, the problem is
one of long standing, involves Internet Explorer, and can cause the
machine to hang or dramatically slow down after the patch is applied.

While Microsoft didn't explicitly tell users to roll back the patch
[1], the message did continue with, "Please note that by uninstalling
the current update, the machine will return to a vulnerable state. At
this point, we are currently not aware of customers being exploited by
way of the vulnerability fixed in MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98
SE and Windows ME."

Users who need additional assistance can call Microsoft at
866-727-2338 -- the company's PCSAFETY line -- for free help with any
security update.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx