[ISN] DSW Shoe Warehouse Reports Customer Data Theft

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Thu Mar 10 04:06:45 EST 2005

Forwarded from: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 at yahoo.com>

According to this article (and I'm not assuming that it's complete or
accurate), RV seems to think that a "hacker" broke in and stole data
for no other reason than credit card companies are reporting
fraudulant activity on customer's accounts...do others read this the
same way?  Do you take away the same thing from the article?

If so...investigations by the outside security firm and the USSS are
not complete.  So how do they know?  If the investigations aren't
complete, why are they saying something as definitive as that?  After
all, the statement seems to have come from their general counsel.

I guess one way to look at it is that by saying a "hacker" did it,
they can claim that this "hacker" was smart enough to outwit the
assembled forces within RV, and steal the data.  You know...like the
T-Mobile hack - the one involving the unpatched server that some
manager made the business decision to leave unpatched...