[ISN] GSA assessing charge card contractors’security policies

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Wed Mar 9 07:02:52 EST 2005

http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/35251-1.html

By Jason Miller
GCN Staff
03/08/05

Under pressure from lawmakers to ensure federal charge card data is
secure, the General Services Administration will review the security
policies of the four other SmartPay contractors after Bank of America
revealed late last month that it lost the records of 1.2 million
federal employees.

In a response to questions from Sen. Susan Collins, chairwoman of the
Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, GSA
administrator Stephen Perry said in a letter that the agency will
ensure that Bank One of Wilmington, Del., Citibank of New York, Mellon
Bank of Pittsburgh and US Bank of Minneapolis will "provide adequate
protection for personal information of federal employees."

Collins, a Maine Republican, wrote a letter to GSA and Bank of America
last week asking how both organizations would ensure federal data is
better protected [See GCN story] [1].

GSA and the Defense Department also will conduct a joint risk
assessment to review Bank of America security procedures, Perry said.
Bank of America lost more than 900,000 Defense employees' information,
DOD officials said.

GSA would not offer much detail on how they are conducting the review
of SmartPay vendors or the joint risk assessment.

"GSA is taking all appropriate steps to ensure that SmartPay
contractors maintain security policies consistent with current
industry standards," said MaryAlice Johnson, an agency spokeswoman.
"We expect these activities to continue in the coming weeks."

Johnson added that GSA still is developing the timetable to conduct
the evaluations.

Bank of America also told GSA it has changed its method of handling
SmartPay system back-up operations. Bank spokeswoman Alexandra Trower
said the company does not comment on those procedures for security
reasons.

"We are continually improving our processes and procedures for
handling our customer's information," she said.

Bank of America also provided GSA with a list of names of the affected
cardholders and is sending out a second letter to cardholders
explaining how to obtain a free credit report and fraud alert.

[1] http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/35170-1.html