[ISN] Suspected Computer Hacker Gets Diploma

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Tue Jun 28 03:25:01 EDT 2005

http://fox40.trb.com/news/ktxl-062705hacker,0,2946372.story?coll=ktxl-news-1

June 27, 2005

ELK GROVE -- The Laguna Creek High School senior who was suspended for
allegedly hacking into the school's computer system received his
diploma on Monday.

There was no cap and gown, no pomp and circumstance. Still, it was
graduation day for 18-year-old Alex Ochoa at Laguna Creek High School.
The day his family had been waiting for came after the senior football
player and honor student was suspended May 12th. In panel hearings,
district officials said Ochoa changed his grades and the grades of 38
other students over a year and a half.

"I was relieved they saw the truth. Still upset the investigation did
not come up and that I had to miss graduation, that was hard," Alex
Ochoa said.

"He finally got to graduate, I knew he would but it's nice to see the
diploma, he's my oldest son I missed the opportunity to see him cross
the stage so did his grandparents, we'll never forget that," mother
Patti Ochoa said.

Ochoa and his mother maintain two other students placed the blame on
him. District representatives would only say the panel decided not to
recommend expulsion and allow Ochoa to receive his diploma though they
did not offer any details on why.

So for now, Ochoa and his family say they're glad this ordeal is over.
Ochoa says he's still receiving a need-based scholarship to Occidental
College, where he plans to play football in the fall.

Meanwhile the district says they have since revised their computer
security policies.

Copyright © 2005, KTXL