[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - July 1st 2005

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Fri Jul 1 05:37:09 EDT 2005

|  LinuxSecurity.com                             Weekly Newsletter    |
|  July 1st, 2005                             Volume 6, Number 26a    |

  Editors:      Dave Wreski                     Benjamin D. Thomas
                dave at linuxsecurity.com          ben at linuxsecurity.com

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the
week.  It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of
each vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for crip, Network Manager,
HelixPlayer, gedit, gzip, selinux, gnome, openssh, libwpd, openoffice,
openssh, binutils, totem, rgmanager, magma-plugins, iddev, fence,
dlm, cman, css, GFS, mod_perl, Heimdal, and sudo. The distributors
include Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, and Red Hat.

---

## Internet Productivity Suite: Open Source Security ##
Trust Internet Productivity Suite's open source architecture to
give you the best security and productivity applications available.
Collaborating with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital
security engineers implement the most technologically advanced
ideas and methods into their design.

Click to find out more!
http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/products/software/ips_overview.shtml

---

Linux File & Directory Permissions Mistakes
By: Pax Dickinson

Greetings, gentle reader, and welcome to linuxsecurity.com and our new
recurring series of articles on security related mistakes and how to
avoid them. I'm your host, Pax Dickinson, and today we'll be reviewing
basic Linux file and directory permissions and how to avoid some common
pitfalls in their use, in this episode of Hacks From Pax.

One common mistake Linux administrators make is having file and directory
permissions that are far too liberal and allow access beyond that which
is needed for proper system operations. A full explanation of unix file
permissions is beyond the scope of this article, so I'll assume you are
familiar with the usage of such tools as chmod, chown, and chgrp. If you'd
like a refresher, one is available right here on linuxsecurity.com.

I've witnessed systems administrators whose response to a user complaining
about being denied access to a given file is to chmod 777 the file (or
entire directory tree) in question. This is an absolutely disastrous
security practice, the administrator has just granted write access to the
file to any user on the system. Any compromised service will allow an
attacker to modify the file, which could result in further access
depending on the file in question. For example, an attacker gaining
write access to a script that is occasionally run by root can parlay
this seemingly minor security hole into full root access for himself.

 * Never make files world-writable. Most files do not need to be
   world readable either.

 * You can search for world-writable files under your current
   directory by issuing the following command:

   find . -perm -2 -print

A related mistake is in the misuse of suid root binaries. These are
programs which can be launched by a user but run with all the privileges
of root. These programs are needed to perform tasks such as changing a
user's password, since that requires a write to the system's password
file which normally cannot be modified by anyone but root. A flaw that
allows an attacker to gain a shell prompt in such a program can give an
attacker root access to the system. These binaries should be carefully
limited and must be kept up to date with appropriate security patches
to minimize their risk. A common backdoor installed by successful
attackers is a copy of /bin/sh set suid root. This can be run by any
user on the system, without a password, and will result in full root
access.

Read Complete Article:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119415/49/

----------------------

Measuring Security IT Success

In a time where budgets are constrained and Internet threats are
on the rise, it is important for organizations to invest in network
security applications that will not only provide them with powerful
functionality but also a rapid return on investment.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/118817/49/

---

Getting to Know Linux Security: File Permissions

Welcome to the first tutorial in the 'Getting to Know Linux Security'
series.  The topic explored is Linux file permissions.  It offers an
easy to follow explanation of how to read permissions, and how to set
them using chmod.  This guide is intended for users new to Linux
security, therefore very simple.  If the feedback is good, I'll
consider creating more complex guides for advanced users.  Please
let us know what you think and how these can be improved.

Click to view video demo:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/118181/49/

---

The Tao of Network Security Monitoring: Beyond Intrusion Detection

To be honest, this was one of the best books that I've read on network
security. Others books often dive so deeply into technical discussions,
they fail to provide any relevance to network engineers/administrators
working in a corporate environment. Budgets, deadlines, and flexibility
are issues that we must all address. The Tao of Network Security
Monitoring is presented in such a way that all of these are still
relevant. One of the greatest virtues of this book is that is offers
real-life technical examples, while backing them up with relevant case
studies.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/118106/49/

--------

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

* Debian: New crip packages fix insecure temporary files
  30th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119456

+---------------------------------+

* Fedora Core 4 Update: NetworkManager-0.4-18.FC4
  24th, June, 2005

This update to NetworkManager includes a number of enhancements.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119413

* Fedora Core 3 Update: kernel-2.6.11-1.35_FC3
  24th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119414

* Fedora Core 4 Update: HelixPlayer-1.0.5-1.fc4.2
  27th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119417

* Fedora Core 3 Update: HelixPlayer-1.0.5-0.fc3.2
  27th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119418

* Fedora Core 3 Update: gedit-2.8.1-2.fc3.1
  27th, June, 2005

An updated gedit package that fixes a file name format string
vulnerability is now available.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119419

* Fedora Core 4 Update: gedit-2.10.2-4
  27th, June, 2005

An updated gedit package that fixes a file name format string
vulnerability is now available.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119420

* Fedora Core 3 Update: gzip-1.3.3-15.fc3
  27th, June, 2005

In this gzip update there are fixed three small security problems.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119423

* Fedora Core 3 Update: selinux-policy-targeted-1.17.30-3.13
  27th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119424

* Fedora Core 4 Update: gnome-panel-2.10.1-10.1
  28th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119429

* Fedora Core 3 Update: openssh-3.9p1-8.0.2
  28th, June, 2005

This is a bug fix update fixing two bugs in ssh client
and server code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119431

* Fedora Core 4 Update: libwpd-0.8.2-1.fc4
  29th, June, 2005

Better handle broken wordperfect documents

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119437

* Fedora Core 4 Update: openoffice.org-1.9.112-1.1.0.fc4
  29th, June, 2005

fix a raft of i18n issues

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119438

* Fedora Core 3 Update: openssh-3.9p1-8.0.2 (corrected)
  29th, June, 2005

This is a bug fix update fixing two bugs in ssh client and
server code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119439

* Fedora Core 3 Update: selinux-policy-targeted-1.17.30-3.15
  29th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119440

* Fedora Core 4 Update: selinux-policy-targeted-1.23.18-17
  29th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119441

* Fedora Core 3 Update: binutils-2.15.92.0.2-5.1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119442

* Fedora Core 4 Update: binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2-2.1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119443

* Fedora Core 4 Update: totem-1.0.4-1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119444

* Fedora Core 4 Update: rgmanager-1.9.34-5
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119445

* Fedora Core 4 Update: magma-plugins-1.0.0-2
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119446

* Fedora Core 4 Update: iddev-2.0.0-1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119447

* Fedora Core 4 Update: magma-1.0.0-1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119448

* Fedora Core 4 Update: gulm-1.0.0-2
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119449

* Fedora Core 4 Update: fence-1.32.1-1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119450

* Fedora Core 4 Update: dlm-1.0.0-3
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119451

* Fedora Core 4 Update: cman-1.0.0-1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119452

* Fedora Core 4 Update: ccs-1.0.0-1
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119453

* Fedora Core 4 Update: GFS-6.1.0-3
  29th, June, 2005

Updated upstream sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119454

* Fedora Core 4 Update: mod_perl-2.0.1-1.fc4
  29th, June, 2005

So FC4 will no longer depend on a pre-release...

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119455

+---------------------------------+

* Gentoo: Clam AntiVirus Denial of Service vulnerability
  27th, June, 2005

Clam AntiVirus is vulnerable to a Denial of Service attack when
processing certain Quantum archives.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119421

* Gentoo: Heimdal Buffer overflow vulnerabilities
  29th, June, 2005

Multiple buffer overflow vulnerabilities in Heimdal's telnetd
server could allow the execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119434

* RedHat: Moderate: sudo security update
  29th, June, 2005

An updated sudo package is available that fixes a race condition in
sudo's pathname validation.  This update has been rated as having
moderate security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119436

Distributed by: Guardian Digital, Inc.                LinuxSecurity.com