[ISN] Linux report stirs hornets nest

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Fri Apr 15 06:01:06 EDT 2005

Forwarded from: Jeff Berner <JBerner at infinitycomp.com>
Cc: jericho at attrition.org

Wow, you certainly have a lot to say but it does seem from the
perspective of someone that doesn't care one way or the other about MS
Vs. Linux that you do indeed feel like a rock was thrown through the
stained glass window of the Linux temple.

I have completed reading your synopsis and would like to point out
that while the Yankee Group does indeed show up in a search of
Microsoft most of the articles you linked to were nothing more than
quotes from them. As an 'analyst' their job is to take money and
research something and give feedback. Do you ever read an article from
a paid analyst that ever contradicts the purpose of the sponsor?
With exception to the tobacco industry (lately), not very often.
Reports that come back not favoring the view of the sponsor usually
reach the circular file pretty quickly.

Was their methodology flawed, perhaps, but until the report was
released and their methods of collecting data fully divulged the
speculation from Groklaw is just that, speculation.

Nothing in your rebuttal supports that MS and Yankee Group are 'good
friends'.  You sound as biased as your purport the article to be.  I
suppose that if this report was released from Gartner you would have
reacted the same way.  Again a few quotes doesn't make them vested
business partners.

Anything that in anyway hints of a flaw, perceived or real, in the
Linux world seems to always result in a BS email response from a
feverishly angry computer person that wants to continue to preach that
Linux is god.  MS releases lots of propaganda too but at least it they
refrain from directly bashing

You brought up some good points about how the actual report is missing
but the link you sent was for software assurance, nothing to do with
MS vs. Linux.  Your reporting in this case is as bad as theirs.  If
you want to rebuke an analyst, become one and do you own independent
research and get it published.  I have listened to you for years via
various mail lists and usually enjoy what you have to say and find it
informative but your response to that article was hideous.

Grow up and get over the Linux is superior to MS or MS is superior to
Linux argument.  We all live in a world where the media is bent or
broken and al information we receive is suspect.  Somehow I have a
feeling if this were hotrod magazine you would be complaining about
someone else telling you your engine is too small.  Your response is
as full of FUD as Yankee's.