[ISN] Activists Find More E-Vote Flaws

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Thu Sep 30 06:23:11 EDT 2004

Forwarded from: Steven Moshlak <smoshlak at interserv.com>

Okay, my two cents-

Disenfranchised or Disrespected?  I was a Judge and a Deputy
Registrar-Recorder when I lived in Los Angeles, California for nearly
15 years.  Eligible voters were required to do three things; register
at least thirty days before the election, when voting, use a template
that contained a "job card," and make sure that the "chips" were
cleaned off of the back of the card.

There is no excuse for non-registration.  The purpose is to verify and
validate that the individual meets the criteria and has does have the
right to vote.

At one point, all ballots were in English, since English is our native
tongue and the understanding of English is a prerequisite for U.S.
Citizenship.  Since 1974, the ballots are issued in Korean,
Vietnamese, Spanish, Chinese, ad nauseum, in order not to
"disenfranchise" people, U.S citizens or non-U.S Citizens.  That's
right, people who are non-U.S. Citizens vote in elections, in
California (illegally, of course).

Now comes people who offer a technological revolution, with e-voting.
The blind feel they have been left out, the individual in the
wheelchair feels left out, the elderly can't understand ballots and
supposedly punch the wrong hole, and so the story goes, on and on.
Please, have some cheese and crackers, with your whine.

In the United States, if one is unable to comprehend the ballot, there
is something known as "non-compis mentis."  If you have earned your
U.S. Citizenship, you should have a basic understanding of the English
language. In the event of physical impairment, spouses or a
representative of the voter has been allowed in the polling booth to
aid and assist in the voting process or they can vote in abstentia, in
the privacy of their own home, if they so choose.

Anybody who cannot register, due to laziness (motor voter, police
station, fire station, by mail, etc.), has abrogated his/her right to
vote and forget "provisional ballots."  Can't read or comprehend the
English Language?  We have schools who would look forward to helping
you in learning the English Language.  All some people have to do is
make the effort.

Anybody who is too lazy to verify that the chips have been cleaned-off
of the back of the card or to look at the card to verify that they
indeed punched the holes in a clean matter, after being repeatedly
warned to clean the card and verify the punch, respectively, abrogates
his/her right to vote.  "Them's the rules."

I am tired of hearing about "voter intent," since it is obvious that
one must be mentally competant to vote and exercise such due care.

I say, go back to the "job card" method, since we know it works and
have people take a novel idea as "responsibility" for their own
actions.  Folks, there isn't a perfect system or will one ever come
about, on a magnitude of this scale.

Steven Moshlak

This email and any files transmitted with it are private and is intended

This footnote also confirms that this email message and any attachments,
have been swept by the latest version of Norton Anti-Virus 2004, for the
presence of computer viruses.