[ISN] Students hack into computer and steal tests

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Thu Sep 23 03:16:11 EDT 2004

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/23/1095651427237.html

September 23, 2004

A computer system at a Gold Coast Catholic high school is being
upgraded after students broke into a password-protected server about a
dozen times and stole several third-term tests.

Students used home computers for the break in, which is believed to be
the first of its type in Queensland.

Queensland Catholic Education Communications Manager, Tom Cranitch,
said Year 12 students at Mary Mount College will have to take their
Maths A and B tests again next term to validate the original test
results.

"It's a pretty severe issue, cheating, at the best of times, but
suddenly in the later stages of people's Year 12 careers, it's
certainly something that is very severe," Cranitch said yesterday.

"We wouldn't be taking it very lightly if we were able to determine
the extent and those involved."

A Year 12 English test was also accessed by the hackers but the
break-in was revealed by an anonymous tipoff in time for the tests to
be rewritten.

It is unclear whether a staff password was stolen or guessed, or
whether a more elaborate hacking method was used to infiltrate the
computer.

Cranitch said there were as many as a dozen different unauthorised
users.

"This may not be one off, it could occur again in the future and our
aim is to ensure it doesn't," he said.

"We're looking at a number of different options to secure that server
in the future."