[ISN] Purdue computer system hacked

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Fri Oct 22 02:07:14 EDT 2004

http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/188156-5277-102.html

Associated Press
October 21, 2004

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Someone gained unauthorized access to Purdue's
computers, prompting school officials today to urge all students,
staff and faculty to change their passwords.

"We have confirmed that some computer passwords have been obtained by
unauthorized users accessing a number of computer systems," said Scott
Ksander of Purdue's information technology office. "The full extent of
the problem is still being analyzed, but we think it is important to
exercise caution, and the best action to take is for all users to
change their passwords at this time."

Purdue officials said that after the initial breach was detected, an
investigation found that computers in several locations on the
38,000-student West Lafayette campus had been accessed.

The Purdue police department was notified of the hacking Wednesday.

The school has not been able to determine whether personal information
was copied by the hacker. Ksander said computer users should watch for
signs that their personal information might have been obtained by
others.

"Purdue's information technology professionals identified the
situation quickly and now are working hard to determine the extent of
the problem," said Joseph Bennett, vice president for university
relations.