[ISN] The big Hiatus

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Mon Nov 29 02:00:50 EST 2004

Hacking Linux Exposed author James Lee's most recent book, Beginning
Perl Second Edition, emphasizes the cross-platform nature of Perl.
Throughout the book, Lee promotes Perl as a legible, sensible
programming language and dispels the myth that Perl is confusing and
obscure. Perfect for the beginning Perl user looking to gain a quick
and masterful grasp on the language, this concise and focused book
begins with the basics and moves on to more advanced features of
Perl, including references, modules, and object-oriented programming.

For purchasing information, go to
http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/books/

The big Hiatus
By Brian Hatch

about SSH.
                               ------

Several folks have written in the past few weeks wondering where I've
gone. Here I started a nice SSH thread about SSH 'Bouncing', and
seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth. Some reader's
questions included

  * "Hey, Where'd you go? Did you lose your Internet connection?"
  * "Lemme guess, your dog ate your articles?"
  * "Did you go off and get a job with Microsoft or something?"
  * "Why the huge break in articles - don't tell me you had another
    kid!"

Well, truth be told I was asked by SecurityFocus to write some
articles on one of my favourite topics, SSH. For the last month and a
half I have been writing, just not here -- I simply don't have the
time to do both. Writing for SecurityFocus does have some advantages,
such as

  * Folks to remind me to get my butt in gear and write.
  * An editor who fixes my typos before I publish them.
  * It pays...

That last one is really the biggest one, to be honest. All that baby
food is expensive! And babysitting ain't cheap either. Man, we need
to have our relatives closer, and I never thought I'd say that.

Anyway, just wanted to let'cha all know that I'm alive and well.

If you want to read the SSH articles at SecurityFocus, here are the
links thus far:

  * http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1806 - SSH Host Key
    Protection
  * http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1810 - SSH User identities
  * http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1812 - SSH and ssh-agent

I'll be writing on this topic for SecurityFocus for a while, so this
list will be rather quiet until I'm done there.

Also, if you're interested, I'll be participating in a Live Chat at
http://www.linuxsecurity.com on December 1st at 4pm EST as they
launch the new version of their website -- I've seen a preview, and
it's quite cool. For more information, go to http://
www.linuxsecurity.com/

Brian Hatch is Chief Hacker at Onsight, Inc and author of Hacking
Linux Exposed and Building Linux VPNs. He's totally out of anything
witty to put here, you'll just have to make due on your own. Brian
can be reached at brian at hackinglinuxexposed.com.

Archives of this and previous newsletters are available at
http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/