[ISN] Eight best practices for disaster recovery

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Fri Nov 19 06:02:46 EST 2004

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/recovery/story/0,10801,97620,00.html

Advice by CIO
NOVEMBER 18, 2004
www.cio.com

Given the number of blackouts, hurricanes and other disasters that
have come our way over the past few years, many CIOs are wisely
reexamining their disaster recovery strategies. Executive Council
members share some of their tried-and-true methods.

1. Dedicate and empower staff

At the New York Mercantile Exchange, CIO Sam Gaer has dedicated a
department within IT to manage business continuity planning and
disaster recovery. Gaer ensures that the department's leader has
access to upper-level management by running interference.

"You can't just set up a director and a department and let them run on
their own," he says. "The CIO must pay constant attention to this
department and set of resources."

2. Divide and conquer

In order to ensure business involvement in the development and
maintenance of the business continuity plan, Martin Gomberg, CTO of
A&E Television Networks, has separated business continuity planning
and disaster recovery into two initiatives, each with its own
governance and goals.

For disaster recovery, the goal is technical recovery, and the plan is
created and managed by developers and engineers. Business continuity's
goal is business process stability, and that plan is developed - in
partnership with IT - by business unit representatives.

3. Make sure the plan can stand alone

"When a disaster strikes, the staff who wrote the recovery plan may
not be available to execute it," says Greg Smith, vice president and
CIO of the World Wildlife Fund.

"You have to make sure your disaster recovery plan will work with or
without the internal key people who developed it." If the director in
charge of financial ERP applications wrote the plan, for example, ask
the business intelligence manager to test the recovery.

4. Challenge the business

"If business unit managers tell me they need an application recovered
quickly, but that application is not providing revenue generation or
financial compliance, I will challenge those individuals to think hard
about how long they can really go without that application," Smith
says. The same goes for staffing an offsite facility during a
disaster. Determining the right people to involve-as well as the right
services to recover-is part of the negotiation process.

5. Align disaster recovery with application development

At A&E, the IT team incorporates disaster recovery into its
application development processes. "We've developed an isolated test
environment that enables full-time access and continuous testing of
all systems and applications," Gomberg says. "Our business-continuity
database includes a report on application-testing status, so we know
when a system was last tested and whether it demands our attention to
assure its performance in recovery."

6. Tabletop tests won't cut it

Regularly reviewing your plan on paper is important, Gaer says, but it
is not enough. In addition to tabletop tests, Gaer semiannually
springs mock disasters on his crisis management team, which is made up
of staff and board members, who must set up a replica data center so
that it is operational within a few hours.

"Given how busy our board members are, it is not easy to demand their
participation in these tests," Gaer says. "But their participation is
extremely important and is a testament to NYMEX's dedication to
disaster recovery."

7. Try (and test) before you buy

When WWF's Smith was looking at a new technology for creating systems
images (snapshots of the operating system disk and registry settings
that allow for a relatively simple recovery process), not only did he
employ a "try before you buy" approach, he actually used the product
in a test at no charge.

"It was a real test: entirely offsite with a different network,
firewall and environment," he says.

8. Hold postmortems and adjust

What you do with the results of the test is a critical part of
disaster recovery planning.

"If you are recovering without third-party services, create an
action-item checklist out of your review of what worked well and what
didn't," Smith says. "If you are working with a vendor, document what
went wrong and use that report to outline your expectations for the
next test."

Editor's Note: The CIO Executive Council is a professional
organization for CIOs. Its mission is to leverage the strengths of a
large coalition of CIOs for the purpose of achieving change within our
organizations and shaping the framework for the future of IT.