[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - May 21st 2004

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Mon May 24 03:20:19 EDT 2004

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  May 21st, 2004                           Volume 5, Number 21a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave at linuxsecurity.com     ben at linuxsecurity.com

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for heimdal, cvs, neon, cadaver,
libpng, iproute, lha, mailman, kdelibs, tcpdump, utempter, subversion,
exim, Pound, ProFTPD, Icecast, libuser, passwd, apache, kdelibs, mc,
rsync, the and kernel.  The distributors include Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD,
Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, and Trustix.

----

>> NEW Step-by-Step SSL Guide for Apache from Thawte <<

Thawtes new guide will show you how to test, purchase, install and use a
Thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best
practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing
management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

Download a guide to learn more:
http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=thawten06

----

Security Failure

Over the years computer systems and networks of all types have been the
object of attack and compromise.  Generally, systems that are compromised
have similar characteristics.  I will focus on some of the more common
shortcomings.  First, failure to have adequate security policies and
procedures.  What information assets should be protected?  Who and what
are they being protected from, and how should they be protected?  All
these questions should be addressed formally.  A security policy provides
direction and justification. Next, poor system logging and auditing.  On
many occasions, system administrators fail to review log files.  If the
job is too big to do it manually, there are many automated tools that will
do a fine job.  Knowing the network and its traffic patterns intimately
can have many advantages.

Failure to patch vulnerable services or applications in a timely fashion
is a major contributor.  Begin testing patches as soon as they are
publicly available.  After it has been determined stable, roll the changes
out to production.  Also, don't forget to verify those MD5s!  Next, poor
password generation and management can be troublesome.  It is important to
be sure that users are choosing and using strong passwords.  Often, this
is the only form of control used.  Remember, weak passwords or bad key
management practices can circumvent even the strongest cryptography
schemes.

Unused software/tools/commands should be removed, and network services
should be disabled.  If it is not there, it can't be exploited.  You'll
find that this is one technique that many hardened distributions (such as
EnGarde Linux) use.  A Web server does not need X11, games, etc.  The
system should be built for one purpose, exposing it to the least amount of
risk.  It is also important to ensure that all configurations are correct.
On many distributions, the default settings are generally calibrated for
usability, rather than high security.  It is up to you to do the necessary
research to find out what changes must be made.  This also brings up the
point of removing or disabling any pre-installed accounts or default
passwords.

Finally, it is imperative that the system is protected from remote network
attacks.  A properly configured, restrictive, firewall can go a long way
in improving a systems security posture.  In several situations, I've seen
companies with firewalls that virtually allow all traffic through.  Over
time, service by service, new rules are added after each complaint.
Rather than provide strong security, it only gives false assurance.  By
taking simple precautions, security can greatly be improved.  Give your
valuable information the protection it deserves.

Until next time, cheers!
Benjamin D. Thomas
ben at linuxsecurity.com

----

Guardian Digital Security Solutions Win Out At Real World Linux

Enterprise Email and Small Business Solutions Impres at Linux Exposition.
Internet and network security was a consistent theme and Guardian Digital
was on hand with innovative solutions to the most common security issues.
Attending to the growing concern for cost-effective security, Guardian
Digital's enterprise and small business applications were stand-out
successes.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-164.html

Interview with Siem Korteweg: System Configuration Collector

In this interview we learn how the System Configuration Collector (SCC)
project began, how the software works, why Siem chose to make it open
source, and information on future developments.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-162.html

>> Internet Productivity Suite:  Open Source Security <<

Trust Internet Productivity Suite's open source architecture to give you
the best security and productivity applications available. Collaborating
with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital security engineers
implement the most technologically advanced ideas and methods into their
design.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn10

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

 5/18/2004 - heimdal
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   This problem could perhaps be exploited to cause the daemon to
   read a negative amount of data which could lead to unexpected
   behaviour.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4347.html

 5/19/2004 - cvs
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   Stefan Esser discovered a heap overflow in the CVS server, which
   serves the popular Concurrent Versions System.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4375.html

 5/19/2004 - neon
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   User input is copied into variables not large enough for all
   cases.  This can lead to an overflow of a static heap variable.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4376.html

 5/19/2004 - cadaver
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   User input is copied into variables not large enough for all
   cases.  This can lead to an overflow of a static heap variable.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4377.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/14/2004 - libpng
   1.2.2 Information leak vulnerability

   Fixes a possible out-of-bounds read in the error message handler.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4340.html

 5/14/2004 - libpng
   1.0.13 Information leak

   Fixes a possible out-of-bounds read in the error message handler.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4341.html

 5/14/2004 - iproute
   Denial of service vulnerability

   iproute 2.4.7 and earlier allows local users to cause a denial of
   service via spoofed messages as other users to the kernel netlink
   interface.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4342.html

 5/14/2004 - lha
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Ulf Hrnhammar discovered two stack buffer overflows and two
   directory traversal flaws in LHA.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4343.html

 5/18/2004 - mailman
   Cross-site scripting vulnerability

   A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability exists in the admin CGI
   script for Mailman before 2.1.4.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4353.html

 5/18/2004 - neon
   Format string vulnerabilities

   Exploiting these bugs may allow remote malicious WebDAV servers to
   execute arbitrary code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4354.html

 5/18/2004 - cvs
   Chroot escape vulnerability

   The client for CVS before 1.11.15 allows a remote malicious CVS
   server to create arbitrary files by using absolute pathnames
   during checkouts or updates.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4355.html

 5/18/2004 - kdelibs
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   An attacker could create a carefully crafted link such that when
   opened by a victim it creates or overwrites a file in the victims
   home directory.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4356.html

 5/19/2004 - tcpdump
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Upon receiving specially crafted ISAKMP packets, TCPDUMP would try
   to read beyond the end of the packet capture buffer and
   subsequently crash.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4368.html

 5/19/2004 - utempter
   Insecure temporary file vulnerability

   An updated utempter package that fixes a potential symlink
   vulnerability is now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4369.html

 5/19/2004 - kdelibs
   Insufficient input sanitation

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4370.html

 5/19/2004 - cvs
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   Stefan Esser discovered a flaw in cvs where malformed "Entry"
   lines could cause a heap overflow.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4371.html

 5/19/2004 - neon
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   An attacker could create a malicious WebDAV server in such a way
   as to allow arbitrary code execution on the client, such as
   cadaver.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4372.html

 5/19/2004 - subversion
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   An attacker could send malicious requests to a Subversion server
   and perform arbitrary execution of code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4373.html

 5/19/2004 - ipsec-tools Denial of service vulnerability
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   A crafted ISAKMP header can cause racoon to crash.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4374.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/19/2004 - cvs
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   Malformed data can cause a heap buffer to overflow, allowing the
   client to overwrite arbitrary portions of the server's memory.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-4367.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/14/2004 - exim
   Buffer overflow vulnerabiity

   When the verify=header_syntax option is set, there is a buffer
   overflow in Exim that allows remote execution of arbitrary code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4344.html

 5/14/2004 - libpng
   Denial of service vulnerability

   A bug in the libpng library can be abused using a crafted .png to
   crash programs making use of that library.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4345.html

 5/19/2004 - Pound
   Format string vulnerability

   There is a format string flaw in Pound, allowing remote execution
   of arbitrary code with the rights of the Pound process.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4363.html

 5/19/2004 - ProFTPD
   ACL bypass vulnerability

   Version 1.2.9 of ProFTPD introduced a vulnerability that causes
   CIDR-based Access Control Lists automatically allow remote users
   full access to available files.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4364.html

 5/19/2004 - Icecast
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Icecast is vulnerable to a denial of service attack allowing
   remote users to crash the application.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4365.html

 5/19/2004 - KDE
   Insufficient input sanitation

   Vulnerabilities in KDE URI handlers makes your system vulnerable
   to various attacks.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4366.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/18/2004 - libuser
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Steve Grubb discovered a number of problems in the libuser library
   that  can lead to a crash in applications linked to it, or
   possibly write 4GB  of garbage to the disk.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4350.html

 5/18/2004 - passwd
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Passwords given to passwd via stdin are one character shorter than
   they are supposed to be.  He also discovered that pam may not have
   been sufficiently initialized to ensure safe and proper operation.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4351.html

 5/18/2004 - apache
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Patch fixes four seperate apache vulnerabilities.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4352.html

 5/19/2004 - kdelibs
   Insufficient input sanitation

   This vulnerability can allow remote attackers to create or
   truncate arbitrary files.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4360.html

 5/19/2004 - cvs
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   Stefan Esser discovered that malformed "Entry" lines can be used
   to overflow malloc()ed memory in a way that can be remotely
   exploited.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4361.html

 5/19/2004 - libneon
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   It was discovered that in portions of neon can be used to overflow
   a static heap variable.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4362.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/18/2004 - kdelibs
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Updated kdelibs packages that fix telnet URI handler and mailto
   URI handler file vulnerabilities are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4348.html

 5/19/2004 - cvs
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   An updated cvs package that fixes a server vulnerability that
   could be exploited by a malicious client is now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4358.html

 5/19/2004 - cadaver
   Heap overflow vulnerability

   An updated cadaver package is now available that fixes a
   vulnerability in neon which could be exploitable by a malicious
   DAV server.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4359.html

 5/19/2004 - mc
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Updated mc packages that resolve several buffer overflow
   vulnerabilities, one format string vulnerability and several
   temporary file creation vulnerabilities are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4378.html

 5/19/2004 - rsync
   Chroot escape vulnerability

   An updated rsync package that fixes a directory traversal security
   flaw is now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4379.html

 5/19/2004 - libpng
   Denial of service vulnerability

   An attacker could carefully craft a PNG file in such a way that it
   would cause an application linked to libpng to crash when opened
   by a victim.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4380.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/17/2004 - mc
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   These could lead to a denial of service or the execution of
   arbitrary code as the user running mc.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4346.html

 5/18/2004 - kdelibs
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   The telnet, rlogin, ssh and mailto URI handlers in KDE do not do
   sufficient argument checking, allowing improper passing of
   arguments.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4349.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/14/2004 - mc
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   This patch fixes buffer overflows, temporary file problems and
   format string bugs associated with Midnight Commander.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-4339.html

 5/19/2004 - cvs
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   Stefan Esser reported buffer overflow conditions within the cvs
   program.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-4357.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/14/2004 - apache
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   This patch addresses a wide variety of known apache
   vulnerabilities.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4337.html

 5/14/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   Patch corrects a local root exploit.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4338.html

Distributed by: Guardian Digital, Inc.                LinuxSecurity.com