[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - May 7th 2004

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Mon May 10 02:49:15 EDT 2004

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  May 7th, 2004                            Volume 5, Number 19a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave at linuxsecurity.com     ben at linuxsecurity.com

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for mc, libpng, LHA, httpd, and rsync.
The distributors include Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, and Trustix.

----

>> Certify your Software Integrity <<

As a software developer you know that the product you make available on
the Internet can be tampered with if it is not secured. Our Free Guide
will show you how to securely distribute your code over the Internet and
how these certificates operate with different software platforms:

Download a guide to learn more:
http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=thawten06

----

Security Benefit

In today's business world, there is an ever-increasing reliance on
information technology.  With this, businesses are discovering new ways to
produce products and offer services with greater efficiency. New business
opportunities are created by the production of digital products and
service.  However, with every business opportunity comes increased risks.
IT systems are now a huge target.  If a business is not properly prepared,
a single system failure could result in a catastrophic outcome.  Security
is greatly important and a necessary part of keeping IT systems in
operation.

Traditionally, security has been viewed as a 'badge and gun' operation.
The most important part is protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and
availability of a system. In the process of improvement, security
practitioners increase the number of firewall rules, increase password
complexity, and impose additional limitations on each user's ability to
access the information they need to conduct daily business.  How do non-
security types react to this?  Of course, they don't like it! Security is
not seen as a business benefit, but a hinderance. Rather than supporting
business functions, it is making it more difficult to do even the simplest
tasks.  Sadly, increasing a security budget may be viewed as increasing
the difficulty to conduct daily business.

Today, security is changing.  Managers are starting to realize that
security only exists to support business.  If the business did not exist,
the security department protecting it wouldn't exist.  As a security
manager, it is important to deliver value to the business.  This can be
done a number of ways.  First, create a security awareness program that
educates others on the importance of protecting information.  Next, only
choose controls that are in line and appropriate for the information it is
protecting.  For example, military-grade security may not be appropriate
for internal employee manuals.  However, financial documents may require
the tightest security.  Secure appropriately!  Finally, metrics are
important.  Report to superiors the effectiveness of current security
controls. Report the number of incidents and types from least significant
to most.  Demonstrate with numbers how the current security is protecting
the information assets.  How many times was your network scanned in the
last month?  How many connections did the firewall reject/drop?  How much
spam did the filters keep out of inboxes?  Good security goes unnoticed
and ignored.  It is important to remind management how well you are doing!

Until next time, cheers!
Benjamin D. Thomas
ben at linuxsecurity.com

----

Guardian Digital Launches Next Generation Internet
Defense & Detection System

Guardian Digital has announced the first fully open source system designed
to provide both intrusion detection and prevention functions. Guardian
Digital Internet Defense & Detection System (IDDS) leverages best-in-class
open source applications to protect networks and hosts using a unique
multi-layered approach coupled with the security expertise and ongoing
security vigilance provided by Guardian Digital.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-163.html

Interview with Siem Korteweg: System Configuration Collector

In this interview we learn how the System Configuration Collector (SCC)
project began, how the software works, why Siem chose to make it open
source, and information on future developments.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-162.html

>> Internet Productivity Suite:  Open Source Security <<
Trust Internet Productivity Suite's open source architecture to give you
the best security and productivity applications available. Collaborating
with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital security engineers
implement the most technologically advanced ideas and methods into their
design.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn10

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

 4/30/2004 - libpng, libpng3 Out of bounds access vulnerability

   This problem could cause the program to crash if a defective or
   intentionally prepared PNG image file is handled by libpng.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4292.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/30/2004 - mc
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Several vulnerabilities in Midnight Commander were found by Jacub
   Jelinek.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4296.html

 4/30/2004 - libpng
   Out of bounds access vulnerability

   Bug could potentially lead to a DoS (Denial of Service) condition
   in a daemon that  uses libpng to process PNG imagaes.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4297.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/30/2004 - X-Chat Buffer overflow vulnerability
   Out of bounds access vulnerability

   An updated X-Chat package fixes a vulnerability which could be
   exploited by a malicious Socks-5 proxy is now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4293.html

 4/30/2004 - LHA
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Ulf Harnhammar discovered two stack buffer overflows and two
   directory traversal flaws in LHA.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4294.html

 4/30/2004 - httpd
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Updated httpd packages are now available that fix a denial of
   service vulnerability in mod_ssl and include various other bug
   fixes.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4295.html

 4/30/2004 - rsync
   Path escape vulnerability

   Please either enable chroot or upgrade to 2.6.1.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4298.html

 4/30/2004 - libpng, proftpd Multiple vulnerabilities
   Path escape vulnerability

   Patches for a DoS using libpng and a ACL escape for proftpd.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4299.html

Distributed by: Guardian Digital, Inc.                LinuxSecurity.com