[ISN] UCLA laptop theft exposes ID info

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Fri Jun 11 06:20:01 EDT 2004

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5230662.html

By David Becker
CNET News.com
June 10, 2004

Representatives of the University of California, Los Angeles, are
warning 145,000 blood donors they could be at risk for identity theft
due to a stolen university laptop.

UCLA's Blood and Platelet Center included the advisory in a letter
sent last week to all who donated blood through the organization.

Thieves broke into a locked van last November and grabbed a laptop
with a database that includes names, birth dates and Social Security
numbers for all blood donors, according to a university statement. The
database did not include medical information other than blood type,
according to the statement, and university officials did not recognize
the significance of the loss and the potential for identity theft
until the matter came up in a security audit last month.

"We deeply regret any inconvenience this incident may cause our blood
donors," Dr. Priscilla I. Figueroa, director of the university's
Division of Transfusion Medicine, said in the statement. "We hope and
trust that they will continue participating in our blood drives and
making these lifesaving donations."

The database was password-protected but not encrypted, according to
the statement, which said the university was reviewing data security
policies in light of the incident.

Los Angeles police are investigating the theft, according to the
university, and there is no evidence yet that information in the
database has been retrieved or misused.

University representatives said in a follow-up statement that a second
laptop was stolen two weeks ago from the financial office of the
University's health care division, putting personal information for an
additional 62,000 patients at risk.

Widespread use of laptops has presented an increasing risk for
security theft, with lost or stolen devices potentially exposing data
ranging from FBI secrets to tax records in recent years.