[ISN] E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Fri Jul 2 08:34:39 EDT 2004

Forwarded from: Mark Hoffer <hoffer53 at hotmail.com>

Hello:

Coming from the ISP side of things, this is a great sigh of relief.
Before this ruling, some could have interpreted the law in a way that
the ISP could not scan for viruses or block spam.  I agree that email
should not be snooped on, but every user should know that the privacy
of an email is like that of a postcard.

Now about this wiretap law - is it unlawful for me to use a packet
sniffer to troubleshoot a customer's connection and to watch for
malicious traffic on my network?

-Mark Hoffer