[ISN] Linux Security Week - April 26th 2004

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Tue Apr 27 07:12:44 EDT 2004

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  April 26th, 2004                              Volume 5, Number 17n |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave at linuxsecurity.com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben at linuxsecurity.com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Securing a Fresh
Linux Install," "Securing The IP Telephony Perimeter," and "Your Next
Mission-Critical Application."

----

>> Free Trial SSL Certificate from Thawte <<

Take your first step towards giving your online business a competitive
advantage. Test-drive a Thawte SSL certificate, a our easy online guide
will show you how.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=thawten04

----

LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
This week, advisories were released for cvs, neon, perl, logcheck, kernel,
iproute, xchat, ident2, utempter, cadaver, XChat, libneon, MySQL, samba,
utempter, OpenSSL, tcp, IA64, XFree86, tcpdump, and xine. The distributors
include Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandrake, NetBSD, Red Hat, Slackware, and
Trustix.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-9220.html

----

Guardian Digital Launches Next Generation Internet
Defense & Detection System

Guardian Digital has announced the first fully open source system designed
to provide both intrusion detection and prevention functions. Guardian
Digital Internet Defense & Detection System (IDDS) leverages best-in-class
open source applications to protect networks and hosts using a unique
multi-layered approach coupled with the security expertise and ongoing
security vigilance provided by Guardian Digital.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-163.html

----

>> Bulletproof Virus Protection <<

Protect your network from costly security breaches with Guardian Digital's
multi-faceted security applications.  More then just an email firewall, on
demand and scheduled scanning detects and disinfects viruses found on the
network.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn04

Interview with Siem Korteweg: System Configuration Collector

In this interview we learn how the System Configuration Collector (SCC)
project began, how the software works, why Siem chose to make it open
source, and information on future developments.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-162.html

----

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]----------
+---------------------+

* Reducing Spam
April 23rd, 2004

Spam is a common, and often frustrating, side effect to having an email
account. Although you will probably not be able to eliminate it, there are
ways to reduce it.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-9224.html

* Securing a fresh Linux install, part 3
April 22nd, 2004

Telnet transmits information, including passwords, in plain text, which
can easily be intercepted and read. SSH performs much the same task as
Telnet, but it does so through an encrypted tunnel and is therefore much
more secure.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-9218.html

* STAT Scanner 5.27 Reviewed
April 21st, 2004

A security scanner is one of the most important software titles in a
network administrator's toolbox so naturally I was happy to try out a new
one. When I got Harris Corporation's STAT Scanner I noticed that it is the
first vulnerability assessment scanner to receive Common Criteria
certification, a rigorous international standard for information
technology security evaluation and certification.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-9210.html

* Securing a Fresh Linux Install
April 21st, 2004

Most Linux distros provide a wide variety of server applications, and many
network-aware apps are enabled by default when you install the operating
system. Before you put your new Linux machine online, there are a number
of steps you should take to make your network secure. Use these tips every
time you perform a fresh install; none of these steps will help to secure
a machine that has already been compromised.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-9208.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Installing Nessus 2.0 on SuSE 9.0 Pro with KDE 3.1
April 23rd, 2004

The following is a simple how-to guide for installing the Nessus
vulnerability scanner, server daemon, and client on SuSE Linux. The
instructions do not include in depth explanations as it is assumed that
you are familiar with features and benefits of Nessus and have a general
working knowledge of Linux.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-9223.html

* HNS Learning Session: Session Hijacking Explained
April 22nd, 2004

For the first learning session on Help Net Security, we've got Caleb Sima,
SPI Dynamics CTO and co-founder, discussing session hijacking attacks.
While session hijacking can be applied to a lot of areas, this learning
session is concentrated to the attacks on web applications.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-9216.html

* Securing The IP Telephony Perimeter
April 22nd, 2004

Networking battles never die; they just move to another layer in the OSI
stack. That networking adage is as true with IP telephony security devices
today as it was years ago with bridges and routers.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-9215.html

* Vulnerability Issues in TCP
April 20th, 2004

Almost three quarters of office workers in an impromptu man-on-the-street
survey were willing to give up their passwords when offered the bribe of a
chocolate bar.  The organizers of the conference Infosecurity Europe 2004
plans to announce on Tuesday that they surveyed office workers at
Liverpool Street Station in England, and found that 71 percent were
willing to part with their password for a chocolate bar.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-9205.html

+------------------------+
| General Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Your Next Mission-Critical Application
April 23rd, 2004

Emerging regulations require that businesses save virtually all e-mail.
The results can be overwhelming-that is, unless you have the right
intelligent management solution.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-9222.html

* Security holes force firms to rethink coding processes
April 23rd, 2004

Microsoft's issuance last week of 14 security patches raised fears that
worm-based attacks would follow and sparked discussion on how to better
build code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-9225.html

* "Subversive Software" - O'Dowd's Linux Security Controversy
Continues
April 19th, 2004

"There are plans to rely on Linux to control our most advanced future
defense systems," writes Dan O'Dowd this morning, referring to systems
such as the Army's Future Combat Systems (FCS), the Joint Tactical Radio
System (JTRS), and the Global Information Grid (GIG).

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-9198.html

Distributed by: Guardian Digital, Inc.                LinuxSecurity.com